Monday, August 17, 2009

Week 10

This internship has made me question a lot of things about what kind of work I want to do in the future. I learned a lot about working in the public policy and became aware of the challenges that exist in that type of work. I became aware of the divisive internal politics of the community organizing world and learned that you can even meet with resistance from people who are supposed to be your allies. I also learned that when you achieve something politically, you often receive such a strong backlash afterwards that it is questionable how much your efforts actually help people. In addition, I found out that it is hard to stay motivated and passionate about your work when you meet with almost constant resistance. Furthermore, I found it less enjoyable to work in an office on a political campaign than experiences I have had working with immigrants in person. However, I have also seen a great need for the work that political activists do in my work with immigrants in Postville in other places. This kind of work is undoubtedly very valuable and very necessary. I am just not sure that it is where my passion lies and where my talents can be best used.

No comments:

Post a Comment